Cathy A. Roheim
- Seafood marketing and international trade in seafood products
- The effect of the sustainable seafood movement on domestic and international markets, and trade and management policies related to capture fisheries and aquaculture
- Includes analysis of consumer demand for eco-labeled seafood, the importance of traceability, particularly as it relates to illegal fishing and the role of corporate social responsibility as an economic motivation of the supply chain in sourcing sustainable seafood
- Role of information and labeling in differentiation of seafood products for such issues as safety, organic, farmed vs. wild production and geographical designation
- Roheim, C.R. and D. Zhang. 2018. “Sustainability Certification and Product Substitutability: Evidence from the Seafood Market,” Food Policy, 10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.06.002.
- Uchida, H., C.A. Roheim and R. Johnston. 2017. “Balancing the health risks and benefits of seafood: How does available guidance affect consumer choices?” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 99(4):1056–1077, .
- Stemle, A., H. Uchida, and C.A. Roheim. 2016. “Have Dockside Prices Improved after MSC Certification? Analysis of Multiple Fisheries,” Fisheries Research, .
- Asche, F., C.A. Roheim, and M. Smith. 2016. “Trade interventions: Not a Silver Bullet to Address Environmental Externalities in Global Aquaculture,” Marine Policy, .
- Sampson, G.S., J.N. Sanchirico, C.A. Roheim, S. Bush, E. Taylor. E.H. Allison, J.L. Anderson, N. Ban, R. Fujita, S. Jupiter, and J. R. Wilson. 2015. “Secure Sustainable Seafood from Developing Country Fisheries: Require improvements as conditions for market access,” Science, 1 May, Vol. 348, No. 6234, pp.504-506. DOI:10.1126/science.aaa4639.
- Asche, F., M. Bellemare, C. Roheim, M. Smith, and S. Tveterås. 2015. “Fair Enough? Food Security and the International Seafood Trade,” World Development, 67:151–160. doi:10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.10.013.
- Uchida, H., C. Roheim, H. Wakamatsu, C. Anderson. 2013. “Do Japanese Consumers Care About Sustainable Fisheries? Evidence from an Auction of Ecolabeled Seafood,” Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, DOI 10.1111-1467-8489.12036.
- Asche, F., C. Roheim, and M. Smith. 2013. “Markets, Trade and Seafood,” In: Encyclopedia of Natural Resources. Y.Q. Wang (ed.). Taylor & Francis Group, New York, NY, forthcoming.
- Roheim, C.A., P. Sudhakaran, and C. A. Durham. 2012. “Certification of Shrimp and Salmon for Best Aquaculture Practices: Assessing Consumer Preferences,” Aquaculture Economics and Management, 16:3, 266-286.
- Durham, C.A., C.A. Roheim and I. Pardoe. 2012. “Picking Apples: Can Multi-Attribute Eco-labels Compete?” Journal of Agriculture and Food Industrial Organization, Vol. 10, Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 1542-0485, DOI: 10.1515/1542-0485.1372, Oct.
- Roheim, C., F. Asche, and J. Santos, 2011. “The Elusive Price Premium for Ecolabeled Products: Evidence from Seafood in the U.K. Retail Sector.” Journal of Agricultural Economics, 62:655-668. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2011.00299.x.
- Smith, M.D., C. A. Roheim, L. B. Crowder, B. S. Halpern, M. Turnipseed, J. L. Anderson, F. Asche, L. Bourillón, A. G. Guttormsen, A. Khan, L. A. Liguori, A. McNevin, M.O’Connor, D. Squires, P. Tyedmers, C. Brownstein, K.Carden, D. H. Klinger, R. Sagarin, K.A. Selkoe, 2010. “Sustainability and Global Seafood.” Science, 327:784-86.
- Roheim, C., 2009. “An Evaluation of Sustainable Seafood Guides: Implications for Environmental Groups and the Seafood Industry.” Marine Resource Economics, 24(3):301-310.
- Johnston, R.J., C. Roheim, D. Joglekar, and R. Pomeroy, 2008. “Estimating Preferences for Non-Market Attributes of Aquaculture and Sustainable Seafood Production: Methods and Empirical Applications.” International Journal of Environment and Pollution, 33(4):469-484.
- Roheim, C. 2008. “The Economics of Ecolabelling,” In: Seafood Ecolabelling: Principles and Practice. T. Ward and B. Phillips (eds.). Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK.
- Roheim, C., L. Gardiner, and F. Asche, 2007. “Value of Brands and Other Attributes: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Frozen Fish in the UK.” Marine Resource Economics, 22(3):239-53.
- Johnston, R.J. and C. Roheim, 2006. “A Battle of Taste and Environmental Convictions for Ecolabeled Seafood: A Contingent Ranking Experiment.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 31(2): 283-300.
- Asche, F., H. Bremnes and C. Roheim Wessells. 1999. “Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 81(3):568-581.
- Eales, J. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1999. “Testing Separability of Japanese Demand for Meat and Fish within a Generalized Demand System,” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 24:114-126.
- Heien, D. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 8:365-371.
- Heien, D. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1988. "The Demand for Dairy Products: Structure, Prediction and Decomposition," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 70:219-228.
- Fellow, International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET), 2017
- President-Elect, North American Association of Fisheries Economists (NAAFE) 2017-2019, President 2019-2021
- Member, Board of Directors, Council for Food, Agriculture and Resource Economics (C-FARE), 2017-2019
- Member, Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program, Senior Advisory Board, 2012-2014
- Member, National Geographic Society Ocean Restoration Advisory Council, 2010-2013
- Member, WorldFish Center Science Advisory Committee, Malaysia, 2010-2013
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2006-2009
- Editorial Councils (Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 2004-2007; Review of Agricultural Economics, 1999-2001, 2004-2007; Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 1994-1996)
- Member, Marine Stewardship Council, Board of Trustees, 2006-07; Stakeholder Advisory Council, 1999-2007, (Co-chair, 2006-07)
- President, International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET), 2006-2008; President-Elect, 2004-2006; Executive Council, 1998-2002
- Advisory Board, Choices, 1999-2001
- Member, National Advisory Committee to the U.S. Representative (The Honorable Carol Browner) for the North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation under NAFTA, 1997-2000
- Teacher of the Year, College of the Environment and Life Sciences, University of Rhode Island, 1998
- Editor, Marine Resource Economics, 1995-1998
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Needs Ph.D. Fellowship recipient, Class I, 1985-1988
Senior Associate Dean and Professor of Agricultural Economics
Ag Science, Room 52
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
University of Idaho
111 Perimeter Drive MS 2331
Moscow, ID 11111-2331
Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 1990
M.S., Montana State University, 1984
B.S., Montana State University, 1982