2017-18 Department of Theatre Arts Season
And So We Walked: An Artist's Journey Along the Trail of Tears
Kick off Women's History Month by joining us for a special evening with DeLanna Studi, an award-winning Cherokee Nation actress, artist and activist. Studi will perform excerpts from her play, "And So We Walked," with a hosted reception to follow. "And So We Walked" tells the story of her 900-mile journey with her father along the Trail of Tears to understand her own identity and the conflicts of her nation. The Trail of Tears was traveled by more than 17,000 Cherokee in their forced relocation from their homeland. More than 6,000 Natives died along the way.
- The Prichard Gallery | 414 S. Main St. Moscow
- Doors open at 6:00 pm | Performance at 6:30 p.m. | Reception at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 2
- Tickets are required for admission and available at the U of I Women's Center in Memorial Gym or at Theatre Arts in Shoup Hall or at the door the night of the event while supplies last.
True West by Sam Shepard
Directed by Stephen John, MFA candidate
Sibling rivalry takes center stage in this examination of family conflict that was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1983. New York magazine described Sam Shepard as "the greatest American playwright of his generation," and “True West” shows why Shepard’s reputation is well-deserved.
- The Forge Theater | 404 Sweet Avenue, Moscow
- 7:30 p.m. Mar. 30, 31, Ap. 5, 6, 7
- 2:00 p.m. April 1, 7, 8
- Free for U of I students | $15 public | $10 staff & faculty & seniors 55 and over
- Tickets at the door 30 minutes before curtain or at BookPeople of Moscow or by calling Theatre Arts at 111-111-6465
The Children’s Hour by Lilian HellmanDirected by Shea King, MFA candidate
An American drama set in an all-girls boarding school run by two women. To avoid being sent back to school, a student tells her grandmother that the two headmistresses are having an affair. The accusation proceeds to destroy the women's careers, relationships and lives.
- The Hartung Theater | 625 Stadium Drive, Moscow
- 7:30 p.m. Ap. 20, 21, 26, 27, 28
- 2:00 p.m. 21, 28
- Free for U of Students | $15 public | $10 staff & faculty & seniors 55 and over
- Tickets at the door 60 minutes before curtain or at BookPeople of Moscow or by calling Theatre Arts at 111-111-6465