College of Natural Resources in the News
Our faculty, students and alumni regularly make headlines. Below is just a sample of recent reports by outside media outlets related to CNR’s research, education and outreach.
- Following an article in Nature about using biomimicry to coexist with fire, Associate Professor Crystal Kolden and Professor Alistair Smith were featured in multiple media outlets, including:
- , The Guardian Op-Ed by Alistair Smith and Crystal Kolden
- , PRI’s The World featuring Crystal Kolden.
- , New York Times Op-Ed by Crystal Kolden
- , Scientific American Q&A with Alistair Smith
- , The Atlantic features Sophie Gilbert, assistant professor of wildlife ecology and management. Gilbert was also quoted on this same topic in National Geographic, The Weather Channel, The Smithsonian and The NW Inlander.
- Under Poaching Pressure, Elephants are Evolving to Lose their Tusks National Geographic highlights the work of Professor of Wildlife Sciences Ryan Long
- , The New York Times which includes an interview with CNR’s Travis Paveglio, assistant professor of natural resource sociology
- , Boise State Public Radio highlights the work of Leda Kobziar, associate professor of wildland fire science and director of the MNR program
- Water Savings May Cause Suffering for Burrowing owls High Country News featuring CNR’s Courtney Conway, research professor of wildlife and leader of the Idaho Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
- , National Geographic details the forensic geochemistry work of CNR Alum Sam Bourret 13’, fisheries biologist with Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks
- , KEYT News featuring CNR’s Crystal Kolden, associate professor of Forest, Rangeland, and Fire Sciences
- , The New York Times highlighting the fire refugia research of Arjan Meddens, assistant professor of environmental science
- Popular Science which includes a harrowing tale from CNR pyrogeographer Crystal Kolden.
- Moscow-Pullman Daily News featuring CNR’s Heather Heward, senior instructor for Forest, Rangeland, and Fire Sciences
- , The National Academy of Sciences Wolf Taxonomy Study Meeting (audio) featuring contribution of CNR’s Lisette Waits, Distinguished Professor of Wildlife Resources and Department Head of Fish and Wildlife Sciences
- , News Deeply, (audio) featuring the work of CNR’s Crystal Kolden, associate professor for Forest Rangeland and Fire Sciences
- , Associated Press highlighting studies by CNR’s Randy Brooks, professor of Forestry and Extension Forestry Specialist. This story appeared in dozens of TV, radio, newspaper and online outlets, including the Washington Post, USNews, Daily Mail (UK), Chicago Tribune, the Salt Lake Tribune, Colorado public radio, and many more.
- , PBS.org featuring the work of Courtney Conway, professor in the Department of Fish and Wildlife
- , KTVB.com announcing CNR alum Dustin Miller, ’03 as the new head of IDL
- , The Guardian written by CNR’s Crystal Kolden together with John Abatzoglou from U of I’s College of Science and Daniel Swain from UCLA
- , Capital Press highlighting research projects led by CNR’s Jason Karl, holder of the Harold F. and Ruth M. Heady Endowed Chair of Rangeland Ecology. Karl was also featured in and the
- , Idaho Statesman featuring the work of CNR alum Jens Hegg, Ph.D. ’18, and analytical lab manager in the Kennedy LIFE lab at the University of Idaho
- , Moscow-Pullman Daily News featuring CNR’s Andrew Nelson, director of the Franklin H. Pitkin Nursery and holder of the Tom A. Alberg and Judith Beck Endowed Chair in Native Plant Regeneration