University of Idaho - I Banner
students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit U of I

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

Parents on campus during orientation

Homecoming Oct. 1-7

Join other Vandal families for a week of celebration and Vandal traditions. View Calendar

campus full of students

U of I Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn More

Students participate in the TRX wellness class at the Student Recreation Center

Campus Recreation

Gym memberships and wellness class passes are available for faculty, staff and their spouses. Get Healthy

CNR Certificates and Graduate Program

Alistair Smith, Professor

401 Series Program

To help you meet the GS-0401 OPM Qualification Standards, the University of Idaho offers several online 400-level courses in a broad range of topics.

The are defined as, “Courses equivalent to a major course of study in biological sciences, agriculture or natural resources management, chemistry or at least 24 credit hours in biological sciences, natural resources, wildland fire management, forestry, or agriculture equivalent to a major field of study, plus appropriate experience of additional education that is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in the biological sciences, agriculture, or natural resources.”

You may take courses with the following prefixes, which are generally acceptable for this standard. Please check with your human resources staff before registering. Other prefixes including REM (Rangeland Ecology and Management) or NRS (Natural Resources and Society) may also be acceptable. 

  • FOR (Forest Resources)
  • GEOG (Geography)
  • ENVS (Environmental Science)
  • SOIL (Soil Science)
  • WLF (Wildlife Science)
  • FISH (Fish Sciences)


You may apply for the 0401 certificate as a non-degree seeking student. Please be aware:

  • Non-degree students are not admitted to the College of Graduate Studies (COGS). They may, however, take graduate courses with permission of the instructor and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies if they have already earned a baccalaureate degree with an overall 3.00 GPA. Non-degree students are not eligible for Title IV financial aid. If a non-degree student receives a grade of C, D, or F in a 500-level course, he/she loses the privilege of taking more 500-level courses.
  • Individuals that seek to take graduate courses for professional development and don’t current want to complete a M.S. or PhD degree have the opportunity to take courses towards a graduate certificate, where applications for “certificate only graduate students”, are made through COGS.


There are no required courses. Please note: Non-degree seeking students may only take 7 credits per semester.

CNR Certificates and Graduate Program

Alistair Smith, Professor