Janet Rachlow, Ph.D.
Professor of Wildlife Ecology
Department of Fish and Wildlife Sciences
University of Idaho
111 Perimeter Drive MS 1136
Moscow, Idaho 11111-1136
- National Science Foundation, NATO Postdoctoral Fellowship, Institute of Zoology, London
- Ph.D. Ecology Evolution and Conservation Biology, University of Nevada Reno
- M.S. Wildlife Management, University of Alaska Fairbanks
Behavioral ecology and conservation of mammals
Ecology of sagebrush ecosystems
Science communication and advocacy
Milling, C.R., J.L. Rachlow, P.J. Olsoy, M.A. Chappell, T.R. Johnson, J.S. Forbey, L.A. Shipley, and D.H. Thornton. 2018. Habitat structure modifies microclimate: an approach for mapping fine-scale thermal refuge. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. 9:1648–1657.
Grassel, S.M. and J.L. Rachlow. 2018. When generalists behave as specialists: local specialization by American badgers. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 96: 592–599.
DeMay, S.M., P.A. Becker, J.L. Rachlow, and L.P. Waits. 2017. Genetic monitoring of an endangered species recovery: demographic and genetic trends for reintroduced pygmy rabbits. Journal of Mammalogy. 98:350-364.
McMahon, L.A., J.L. Rachlow, L.A. Shipley, J.S. Forbey, and T.R. Johnson. 2017. Habitat selection differs across hierarchical behaviors: selection of patches and intensity of patch use. Ecosphere. 8(11):e01993. doi:10.1002/ecs2.1993.
Milling, C.R., J.L. Rachlow, T.R. Johnson, J.S. Forbey, and L.A. Shipley. 2017. Seasonal variation in behavioral thermoregulation and predator avoidance in a small mammal. Behavioral Ecology. 28:1236–1247.
2015—Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Natural Resources, University of Idaho
2009—Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho
2008—Ted Trueblood Communications Award for best professional presentation, Idaho Chapter of The Wildlife Society
2007—Outstanding Advisor Award, College of Natural Resources, University of Idaho
2006—Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho
2005—Friends of the Leadore Ranger District Award, US Forest Service
- Understanding the distribution of pygmy rabbits under the sage-grouse umbrella
- Assessing functional properties of habitat and resource tradeoffs
- Evaluating changes in the nutritional landscape for moose in northern Idaho
- Quantifying opposing properties of cover: concealment and detection