Serving Your New Community
Serving Your New Community (SYNC) is the first and largest volunteer event of the year. SYNC, annually hosted in August, provides an opportunity for incoming students to connect to their new community through a variety of service opportunities.
The event is split into two sessions. Participants may choose to participate in one or both of the sessions with no sign up required. Service projects can include site cleanup, gardening, painting, basic construction and other service needs.
In 2018, students put more than 1,764 hours of service at more than 30 sites across the Palouse.
Community agencies within a 35 mile radius of the University of Idaho may sign up to host student volunteers.
Sign up is typically open from mid-May until late-July.
Hosts will receive confirmation once they have submitted their host application.
- Student volunteers arrive to at 8 a.m.
- Group leaders depart with student groups at 8:30 a.m.
- Groups volunteer from 9 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Group leaders facilitate reflection at 11:15 a.m. on site and depart for at 11:30 a.m.
- Student volunteers arrive to at noon
- Group leaders depart with student groups at 12:30 p.m.
- Groups volunteer from 1 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Group leaders facilitate reflection at 3:15 p.m. on site and depart for at 3:30 p.m.