The Sustainability Center is coordinating the University’s response to the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS®) which is a transparent, self-reporting framework for universities to measure their sustainability performance. Data gathered in STARS will also be submitted to the Princeton Review and the Sierra Club Survey. From these surveys the university will gain a STARS rating and national recognition. In addition, STARS will help us to better determine how we are doing with sustainability and pinpoint areas where we can improve.
STARS is Designed To:
- Provide a framework for understanding sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the international campus sustainability community.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
Sierra Club Survey
Each year, Sierra, the official magazine of the Sierra Club, ranks America's most environmentally responsible and forward-looking colleges and universities in its annual "Cool Schools" issue. Now in its tenth year, this list and the stories surrounding it draw national media attention from such outlets as the New York Times, CNN, NPR, Huffington Post, and many others. The website draws more than 1 million page views from readers eager for an in-depth look at how schools are making a difference for the planet, whether it be by improved infrastructure, energy sourcing, transportation, or academic offerings. .
For five consecutive years, The Princeton Review has been researching issues of sustainability as they pertain to colleges. Its sixth annual Green Rating evaluates colleges and universities on their environmentally related policies, practices and academic offerings. The result is a numerical score on a scale of 60–99. You will find each college's Green Rating on the Campus Life / Facilities tab of their profile.
UI's Supporting Documents for AASHE STARS:
- Implementing Cultural Change to Minimize Waste at University of Idaho >Download
- 2013 Water Summit >Download
- Greek water conservation competition 2013 >Download
- Free Cycle Email >Download
- Sustainability in New Student Orientation >Download
- 2013 Transportation Survey, OP-15: Student Commute Modal Split >Download