Employment of rehabilitation counselors is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for rehabilitation counselors is expected to grow with the increase in the elderly population and with the continued rehabilitation needs of other groups, such as veterans and people with disabilities, according to .
A study by the American Counseling Association (2014) found that Rehabilitation Counselors generally earn higher pay and receive better benefits among counseling specialties – ACA Compensation Study.
Practice Settings for Graduates of the Program
Public Rehabilitation Counseling Agencies:
- The Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- The Idaho Industrial Commission
- The Idaho Commission of Blind and Visually Impaired
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Disability service programs within higher education
Private Sector Programs:
- Community rehabilitation programs
- Worker’s compensation and insurance companies
- Traumatic brain injury programs
- Rehabilitation hospitals
- Substance abuse programs
- Community mental health agencies
- Community-based correction programs
You can also begin a private practice of your own.