Electrical and Computer Engineering Doctoral Student, Research Assistant
Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Idaho
111 Perimeter Drive, MS 1023
Moscow, ID 11111-1023
- P.h.D. Student, Electrical Engineering, University of Idaho, 2017
- M. S., Electrical Engineering, Istanbul Medipol University, 2016
- B. S., Electrical Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 2013
Morteza Soltani has been a doctoral student and research assistant in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Idaho since January 2017. Prior to this position, Soltani was a master's student and research assistant in the department of Electrical Engineering at Istanbul Medipol University from September 2014 to December 2106. During this time, Soltani focused on wireless communication research problems and successfully published several research papers. Before joining Istanbul Medipol University in 2014, Soltani was bachelor's student in the department of Electrical Engineering at Ferdowsi University of Mashhad from September 2009 to August 2013. In this period of time, Soltani focused on the course work and ranked as the second student with highest GPA among 120 students in the department.
His current research spans a wide range of topics in wireless communications and networking including physical layer security, cryptography, information theory, performance limits of communications at low power regime and low complexity detection algorithms in cellular networks, multiple input multiple output communication system, cognitive radio networks and visible light communication (VLC) systems.
- Morteza Soltani, Hassan Sadeghpour, “Comparison of Packet- and Circuit-Switched Networks in Power System”, 27th International Conference on Power System, Nov.12-15, 2012, Iran.
- Morteza Soltani, Tuncer Baykas, Huseyin Arslan, “Achieving Secure Communication Through Pilot Manipulation”, 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC) Aug.30-Sept.2, 2015, Hong Kong.
- Morteza Soltani, Tuncer Baykas, Huseyin Arslan, “On Reducing Multiband Spectrum Sensing Duration for Cognitive Radio Networks”, 2016 IEEE 84th Vehicular Technology Conference VTC 2016, Montreal, Canada.
- Tuncer Baykas, Morteza Soltani, Mohamed Siala, “Let there be light again! An Amendment to IEEE 802 Visible Light Standard in Progress ”, IEEE COMSOC MMTC E-Letter, March 10, 2016.
Graduate Research Assistant under supervision of Professor Rezki at University of Idaho (Dec. 2016 - Present)
- Research on Information Theoretic Security and finding the secrecy capacity of several wire-tap channels under different channel input constraints.
Graduate Research Assistant under supervision of Professor Arslan at Communication, Signal Processing and Networking Center (CoSiNc). (Sept. 2014-Dec. 2016)
- Research on Physical Layer Security and its vulnerabilities.
- Research on Spectrum Handoff in Cognitive Radio Systems and evaluation of the soft and hard spectrum handoff schemes.
- Research on Air to Ground wireless channel models and approaches towards emulating the air to ground wireless channel.
- Research on Adaptive and Hybrid Waveform Design for Next Generation Wireless Networks and designing optimum channel coding schemes for fulfilling the requirements of 5G networks.
Internship at the center of power dispatching and control, Khorasan Razavi branch. (Summer 2012)
- Research on Packet-Switched and Circuit-Switched Networks and their differences and applications.
- Research on Power Grid and SCADA systems and applications of the above-mentioned networks in Power Grid.
- Ranked as the first student in the field of wireless communications among 20 students based on cumulative GPA, with GPA of 3.81/4. (Dec. 2016)
- Receiving Faculty of Electrical and Communications Engineering certificate as the second student based on cumulative GPA, with GPA of 3.63/4. (Jul. 2013)
- Awarded a scholarship for master's of science in Ferdowsi University of Mashhad for September 2013 (Without Entrance Exam). (May 2013)
- Top 0.1 percent of the nationwide entrance exam of Iranian universities for graduate studies (ranked 85 out of 90,000 examinees). (May 2013)
- Ranked third in the first stage of 18th Electrical Engineering Olympiad among 100 examinees. (April 2013)
- Faculty of Engineering Exceptional Talented student for whole semesters as a result of being top 1 percent (ranked 1000 among 350,000 examinees) of the nationwide entrance exam of Iranian universities and having the second top CGPA among 100 students in Electrical Engineering.
- Top 1 percent of the nationwide entrance exam of Iranian universities. (ranked 1,000 out of 350000)