There is more to Idaho’s forests than the trees. Forest products are any materials harvested from a forest for commercial or noncommercial use.
Learn about non-timber forest products such as huckleberries and Christmas trees; increase your knowledge of biomass utilization and traditional and small-scale harvesting technologies.
Traditional Forest Products
Traditional forest products include lumber, plywood, planks, poles, pulp, paper and using fuel for wood.
Learn about log scaling and how to market and increase your timber sale profits. Build an easy starting fire, learn about the BTU values of different type of firewood and do some math to determine if heating with wood is for you.
- Wood Splitter’s Secrets (PDF)
- Wood-Burning Stoves (PDF)
- Fireplace Safety (PDF)
- Fireplaces (PDF)
- Fireplace Adaptations and Efficiency Boosters (PDF)
- Building an Easy Starting Fire (PDF)
- The Beauty of Warming with Wood (PDF)
- Installation of Wood Stoves in Fireplaces (PDF)
- Safe Wood Stove Operation (PDF)
- Firewood Permits Selection and Storage (PDF)
- The Economics of Heating with Wood — Is it for You? (PDF)
- Chimneys (PDF)
- The Creosote Problem Chimney Fires and Chimney Cleaning (PDF)
- Smoke Problems and Their Cures (PDF)
- Wood-Burning Furnaces (PDF)
- Wood Stove Installation and Safety (PDF)
- Increasing Timber Sale Profits - Beyond Getting "Good Scale" (PDF)
- Measuring Logs and Understanding How Logs Are Sold (PDF)
- Selling Your Forest Products (PDF)
Non-timber Forest Products
A forest produces much more than lumber. If you have ever been huckleberry picking or collected cones for a craft project, you have been the beneficiary of a non-timber forest product. Acquaint yourself with some of the many specialty products grown and harvested from the forests of Idaho.
Christmas Trees, High-Value Hardwood Plantations and Windbreaks
Live Christmas trees, high-value hardwood plantations and windbreaks are less traditional forest products that provide us with aesthetic and monetary benefits.
Articles and Publications
- The People's Tree (PDF)
- Fresh Christmas Trees: An Eco-friendly Choice (PDF)
- Cutting a Wild Christmas Tree and Leaving a Better Forest (PDF)
- Real Christmas Trees – Made in America! (PDF)
- To Paint or not to Paint That is the Question (PDF)
- Deck the Boughs with Smelly Brew to Keep Tree Thieves Away from You (PDF)
- Traditions (PDF)
- Today's Tree Farm - NOT just for Christmas anymore (PDF)
- O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree (PDF)
Articles and Publications
- Hardwoods in the Pacific Northwest (PDF)
- Hardwoods 101: Planning, Planting, and Maintenance (PDF)
- American chestnut (PDF)
- Black cherry (PDF)
- Black walnut (PDF)
- Carpathian walnut (PDF)
- Oaks (PDF)
- Paulownia (PDF)
- Sugar maple (PDF)