University Arts Committee
The Arts Committee is a university-level standing committee, organized through . The Arts Committee’s function is to advise the university administration regarding the management of the university arts, including, but not limited to: acquisition, deaccession, maintenance, and display of works of visual and performing art at the University of Idaho.; to serve in an advisory capacity for future needs and developments regarding the arts, including, but not limited to: expenditures, inclusion of the arts in new construction, fundraising, and the direction of the arts on campus; to serve as a liaison on arts issues between colleges, departments, faculty, staff, student body, local community and the university administration; and to advocate for the arts through endeavors that advance arts education on campus and community outreach and enrichment in the effort of increasing the University of Idaho's reputation as a leading cultural center in the Northwest.
Members of the Arts Committee are:
- Jovanni-Rey de Pedro, chair, assistant professor of piano and piano pedagogy, Lionel Hampton School of Music
- Jesse Dreikosen, assistant professor, Department of Theatre Arts
- Melissa Hamilton, U of I Extension educator, Valley County
- Diana Mitchell, assistant professor, Department of Biological Sciences
- Louise-Marie Dandurand, assistant professor, Department of Entomology, Plant Pathology and Nematology
- Shauna Corry, interim dean, College of Art and Architecture
- Leah K. Evans-Janke, collections manager, Bowers Lab of Anthropology
- Ray Pankopf, director, Architectural and Engineering Services
- Kathleen Burns, Moscow Arts Commission
- Kristen McMullin, lead advisor, Academic Advising
- Sabrina Slatterly, student representative
- Grace Zimmerman, student representative, ASUI
Student Arts-Fee Grant
Students, faculty members and academic units are all eligible for arts grants to defray costs related to originating, producing and presenting creative projects on campus and within the local community. Submission instructions are in the download.
Beautify Utility Boxes
The University Arts Committee is now accepting submissions for a project to improve campus aesthetics by incorporating student art work into the campus environment. This project will beautify the Moscow campus by wrapping plain electrical boxes with decorative vinyl coatings. Each box becomes a three-dimensional canvas for student art.
The goal of this project is to wrap three to five boxes each year. Ultimately, about 20 utility boxes will feature student art work in some of the most prominent locations on campus.
2017-18 Call for Proposals
For the 2017-18 academic year, three boxes will be wrapped near U of I’s War Memorial Gymnasium, and another near the Gauss-Johnson Engineering Building.
For the boxes near Memorial Gym, the committee is soliciting designs that embrace the history of the athletic department and the gym itself, the oldest athletic building on campus, which was completed in 1928.
For the box near the engineering building, the committee is interested in designs that positively portray the university, Vandals, Moscow or Idaho, reflect student and campus life, stimulate respectful and thoughtful discourse, and complement the landscape or immediate surroundings.
Designs for this year are due by 5 p.m. Friday, April 13, 2018. Download more information and the application.