Setting up Your Email in Mail.app
While ITS strongly recommends using the most recent Outlook for Mac as your mail client, you can use the default mail.app Mac email program. Mail.app is the native email client application installed with every version of Apple OS X and Mail.app is capable of running in full Exchange mode. This tutorial will walk you through setting up an Exchange profile in Mail.app.
Open the Mail.app from your taskbar and navigate to file->add account from the menu bar up top. If this is the first account, a menu will appear with a variety of account type options. You will want to select "Exchange" account.
Mail.app will automatically use AutoDiscover to detect your account and set it up with the correct mail server settings.
In some extreme cases, Mail.app may not be able to successfully connect with AutoDiscover. Often you can just go back, re-type in the info, and try again and it will work. If this does not work, it will give you the option to manually configure your account. Use the following settings:
- Select Exchange under Account Type.
- In the Description filed enter what you wish the account to be called. This can be anything.
- The Incoming Mail Server filed should be outlook.office365.com.
- Enter your full email address in the Username field. Enter your corresponding email Password.
- In the Outlook Web AccessServerfield enter outlook.office365.com.
- Leave the description field blank.
- Enter outlook.office365.com in the outgoing mail server field.
- Make sure both use only this server and use authentication boxes are checked.
- Double check that the username and password in the authentication fields is correct.
- Confirm the settings on the next screen, make sure take account online is checked and click create.
Your inbox will be created and your messages will begin syncing off the server to your machine.