The University of Idaho is accredited by the .
Accreditation of an institution of higher education by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality evaluated through a peer review process. An accredited college or university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
Accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is not partial but applies to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of every course or program offered, or the competence of individual graduates. Rather it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.
Inquiries regarding an institution’s accredited status by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities should be directed to the administrative staff of the institution. Individuals may also contact:
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100
Redmond, WA 98052 | 425-558-4224
The University of Idaho was first accredited in 1918 and continues that status today. The university hosted its most recent visit by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) Mid-Cycle Evaluation in April 2018.
- Spring 2022 Mission Fulfillment and Sustainability Self-Evaluation and Visit
- Fall 2023 Mission and Core Themes Report
- Fall 2025 Mid-Cycle Self Evaluation and Visit
The University of Idaho is required by its regional accreditor (NWCCU Standard One – Mission and Core Themes) to identify core themes that individually manifest essential elements of its mission and collectively encompass its mission. Additionally, the University established objectives for each of its core themes and identifies meaningful, assessable and verifiable indicators of achievement that form the basis for evaluating accomplishment of the objectives and its core themes.
The University of Idaho’s core themes are the same as its 2016-2025 Strategic Plan goals 1-3. See the 2016-2025 U of I Strategic Plan for details on indicators for each core theme.
Core Theme One (Strategic Plan Goal One) – Innovate
Scholarly and creative work with impact
- Objective A: Build a culture of collaboration that increases scholarly and creative productivity through interdisciplinary, regional, national, and global partnerships.
- Objective B: Create, validate, and apply knowledge through the coproduction of scholarly and creative works by students, staff, faculty, and diverse external partners.
- Objective C: Grow reputation by increasing the range, number, type, and size of external awards, exhibitions, publications, presentations, performances, contracts, commissions, and grants.
Core Theme Two (Strategic Plan Goal Two) – Engage
Outreach that inspires innovation and culture
- Objective A: Inventory and continuously assess engagement programs and select new opportunities and methods that provide solutions for societal or global issues, support economic drivers and/or promote the advancement of culture.
- Objective B: Develop community, regional, national, and/or international collaborations which promote innovation and use University of Idaho research and creative expertise to address emerging issues.
- Objective C: Engage individuals (alumni, friends, stakeholders, and collaborators), business, industry, agencies, and communities in meaningful and beneficial ways that support the University of Idaho’s mission.
Core Theme Three (Strategic Plan Goal Three) – Transform
Educational experiences that improve lives
- Objective A: Provide greater access to educational opportunities to meet the evolving needs of society.
- Objective B: Foster educational excellence via curricular innovation and evolution.
- Objective C: Create an inclusive learning environment that encourages students to take an active role in their student experience.
Specialized accreditation of educational programs, departments, or schools, is granted by a number of national organizations. Many programs at the University of Idaho have specialized accreditation.
|Accrediting Organization||Accredited Degree Program|
|Accounting - B.S.Bus.
Business Economics - B.A., B.S., B.S.Bus.
Finance - B.S.Bus.
Information Systems - B.S.Bus.
Interdisciplinary Studies - B.S.I.S.
Management & Human Resources - B.S.Bus.
Marketing - B.S.Bus.
Operations Management - B.S.Bus.
Accountancy - M.Acct.
|College of Business|
|College of Law
Law - J.D., LL.M.
|(UG programs only)||Chemical Engineering - B.S.Ch.E.
Computer Engineering - B.S.Comp.E.
Electrical Engineering - B.S.E.E.
Industrial Technology - B.S.Tech.
Mechanical Engineering - B.S.M.E.
Materials Science and Engineering - B.S.M.S.E.
|Computer Science - B.S.C.S., M.S., Ph.D.|
|School of Journalism and Mass Media|
|Chemistry - B.S.|
|Fire Ecology & Management - B.S.Fire.Ecol.Mgmt.|
|Engineering Management - M.Engr.|
|Industrial Technology - B.S.Tech.|
|Athletic Training - M.S.A.T.|
|Rehabilitation Counseling & Human Services - M.S., M.Ed.|
|Career & Technical Education - BS.Ed.
Elementary Education - BS.Ed.
Secondary Education - BS.Ed.
Curriculum & Instruction - M.Ed., Ed.S.
Educational Leadership - M.Ed., Ed.S.Ed.Ldrshp.
Physical Education - M.Ed.
Special Education - M.Ed.
Agricultural Education - BS.Ag.Ed., MS.
Early Childhood Development and Education - BS.Erly.Childhd.Dev.Ed.
Music Education - B.Mus.
|Bachelor of Interior Design|
|American Language & Culture Program (E.S.L.)|
|Recreation - B.S.Rec.|
|Psychology: Human Factors - M.S.|
|Food Science - B.S.F.S.|
|Idaho INBRE (ID-INBRE)|
|Landscape Architecture - M.L.A.|
|Architecture - M.Arch.|
|Art & Design - B.A., B.F.A.
Art - M.F.A.
Art Education - B.S.Art Ed.
Virtual Technology & Design - B.S.
|Lionel Hampton School of Music|
|Child, Family, and Consumer Studies - B.S.F.C.S.
Early Childhood Development and Education - B.S.Erly.Chldhd.Dev.Ed.
Family and Consumer Sciences - M.S.
|Bioregional Planning and Community Design - M.S|
|Marketing - B.S.Bus., P.G.A. Golf Management|
|Career & Technical Education - B.S.Ed.
Curriculum & Instruction - M.Ed.,Ed.S.
Elementary Education - B.S.Ed.
Secondary Education - B.S.Ed.
Special Education - M.Ed.
Adult/Organizational Learning and Leadership - M.S., Ed.S.AO.L.L.
Rehabilitation Counseling & Human Services - M.S., M.Ed.
School Counseling - M.S., M.Ed.
Physical Education - M.Ed., B.S.Ed.
|Forestry - B.S.|
|Rangeland Ecology & Management - B.S.Rangeland Ecol.-Mgt.|
|Renewable Materials - B.S.|
|Engineering Management - M.Engr.|