Application and Review Process
A new University of Idaho entity can be created at any time during the academic year.
The process for creating Level I entities is the responsibility of the relevant deans and department heads and may vary unit to unit.
Level II and III entities undergo a more structured review and approval process. The process will vary only in the level of detail required in the plan and the required level of final approval. Phase I is a short white paper, followed by a Phase II Entity Plan.
The application process is as follows:
- Applicant prepares a short white paper (less than 5 pages, double-spaced, 12-point type, half-inch margins). See detailed white paper suggestions.
Items to address in the paper include:
- Introduction and background
- Purpose and/or core focus
- Key actors
- Justification for proposed entity level (I, II or III)
- Applicants submit white papers to the Vice President for Research and Economic Development
- Dean(s), vice president for research and the provost and executive vice president review white paper (Level II and III only).
- Provost’s Council reviews proposed or continuing Level II and III entities and provides input on viability, which is available for vice presidential review.
- The vice president for research informs applicants of the decision whether or not to proceed.
- Applicants invited to proceed have approximately 30 working days to develop a Phase II Entity Plan. Detailed instructions for developing an entity plan are available under Phase II Entity Plan Guidelines.
- The plan must be no more than 25 pages (8.5 by 11, double-spaced, 12-point type, half-inch margins).
- The plan includes strategic, operational and business components. Required topics for each plan component vary depending on entity level.
- Applicants submit Phase II Entity Plan to the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
- Relevant deans review the Entity Plan (Level II and III).
- Provost’s Council reviews plan (Level II and III).
- The provost and executive vice president and vice president for research and economic development review plan (Level II and III).
- A panel of external experts may review the plan (Level III).
- Final review within the university:
- For Level II entities, the relevant deans, the provost and the vice president for research will review and decide whether to approve.
- For Level III entities, the president will review and decide whether to approve upon the recommendation of the provost and vice president for research.
- If an entity receives final approval, it will form advisory committees:
- For Level II entities, the provost and the vice president for research will appoint relevant deans and directors
- For Level III entities, the provost and the vice president for research will appoint deans, director and external board members.
- Where appropriate, a Notice of Intent will be prepared and submitted to the State Board of Education/Board of Regents of the University of Idaho.
Proposals for new entities may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed as they are submitted.
- Maximum of five pages — that outlines the purpose of the proposed center or institute, its goals, key personnel and justification for its proposed rating. Submit white papers to [email protected].
- White papers reviewed by all of the deans as well as the vice presidents.
- Decisions will be communicated, inviting full proposals of selected groups.
- Full proposals will be reviewed by deans, vice presidents and, perhaps, several faculty committees. Level III proposals will also be reviewed by an outside set of experts.