White Paper Guidelines
A short white paper (less than five 8.5 X 11 pages, double-spaced, 12-point type, .5 inch margins) that outlines the purpose or core focus of the entity, its goals, the key actors, and the justification for proposed level of the entity.
Topics to Be Addressed
Introduction & Background
The Alliance: Who’s involved? Why is the collaboration likely to be effective?
- Alignment with University of Idaho Strategic Action Plan
- Alignment with University Signature Areas
- Historical context (if it applies, mostly useful to existing entities)
Purpose and/or Core Focus
Core focus: Compelling vision that is exciting and likely to have impact.
- Description of products and services and their short-, medium- and long-term impact;
- Competitive advantage of the University of Idaho
- Major risks involved, if any
- Potential recognition for the University of Idaho and the entity
Three to five bullet-point statements — visionary picture, brief, relatively general, measurable.
- Description of the sustainable research/outreach programs you plan to initiate to address each goal
- Description of the measures of success (outputs, outcomes and/or impacts) of each goal
Brief description of the appropriate collaborating University of Idaho units and external groups;
- Brief description of the right individuals
- Concerns about working together
- Synergies resulting from working together
Justification for Proposed Entity Level (I, II, III)
- Describe why the name "institute," "center" or some other name appropriate
- Describe why the proposed entity fits the selected category level (I, II, III)
Each of the five topics above must be addressed in your white paper; however the items listed under each topic are only provided to stimulate your thinking and may or may not fit a particular situation.