From the Vice President
As the New Year begins, I have been reflecting on my first months at the University of Idaho. Since I arrived in September, I’ve had ample opportunity to get to know our researchers, become familiar with our ongoing projects and strategic prospects, and reach out to our partners and collaborators. I am proud to say I’ve found a strong research enterprise that is poised to become even stronger in the year ahead.
2016 was a banner year for UI research. Our research expenditures for the fiscal year surpassed $102 million, and our new awards totaled $82.11 million, a 14 percent increase from FY2015.
These successes are more than numbers. UI is investing in and delivering on projects that contribute to healthy industries, ecosystems, economies and communities in Idaho and beyond. A 2016 UI Research year in review is available online.
2017 is already off to an exciting start, with research teams now moving into the completed Integrated Research and Innovation Center (IRIC). I invite the university community and our partners and friends to join me for the IRIC ribbon cutting celebration on Jan. 31.
I am eager to see what else we accomplish together in 2017.
Janet E. Nelson
Research and Economic Development
Shaver Elected to NCURA Leadership Position
Deborah Shaver, director of the University of Idaho’s Office of Sponsored Programs, has been elected chair of the (NCURA) Region VII. Shaver begins her tenure as chair-elect in January 2017, and then will serve as chair for one year, starting in January 2018. Read More.
A Tasty Combination
CALS student combines love of food with applied science degree
- UI Researchers Win First Phase of $10 Million Everglades Clean Water Science Prize
- 22 Students Win Undergraduate Research Grants
- UI Team Potato, Clearwater Russet, wins McDonald's French Fry Status
- IGS Researchers Help Idaho Prepare for Landslides, Other Hazards
- Student Entrepreneurs win $3,500 at Business Pitch Contest
- Seed Grant Proposals Due in February
- Engineering Professor, ECE Chair Receives International Recognition