The University of Idaho uses a variety of social media channels and platforms to interact with our various audiences.
Institutional social media is managed by University Communications and Marketing (UCM) and Social Media Manager Holli Sampson. If you have questions about posting to social media or creating a new channel, email [email protected].
Social media changes quickly, and the UCM team is trained in helping you reach your audience in the most effective way possible. Channels should be evaluated often for effectiveness, and inactive channels or those with limited reach should be deleted. All social media channels should follow the institutional brand guidelines and voice.
Building a following on social media takes time and effort. When discussing a social media account for your department, things to consider include:
- Who is the target audience and its demographics?
- Is there external demand for a social media channel?
- Can the audience be reached successfully in other ways, such as through existing institutional channels?
- How will the channel be maintained and who will provide content? Social media accounts need to be updated with relevant, timely content daily to be effective.
Social Media Posting Policies
The University of Idaho’s Facebook pages are managed by the UCM Office. They are intended to help the university community engage with each other and stay informed about activities on and around campus, both social and university-related. While dialogue is encouraged, use is subject to Facebook Terms of Service and university policies, including APM 30.12 and Acceptable Use of Technology Resources.
Page managers reserve the right to delete posts that contain the following:
- Inappropriate content, foul language, threats or off-topic information.
- Multiple and repetitive messages.
- Negative statements about fellow posters or others.
- Page managers reserve the right to block users who repeatedly violate these terms.